Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Father's Day Gift Idea


I know with my last post I was thinking about posting a kid friendly lunch recipe, but I decided to go with a craft project instead.  With Father's Day coming close I thought this would be a little bit of inspiration for the mom's out there.  It is easy, kid friendly, and cheap to do! 

When the boys were attending school this year they did an art project that was turned into products to buy...nightlight, mouse pad, notebook, magnet, etc.  We were very lucky to have an artistic mom in the group, who I am so lucky to have become friends with, and she came up with this idea.  I was so excited she did, because honestly I haven't seen it done before!  She's so talented and also creates customizable gifts that are great from any occasion, from baby showers to friends/family birthday gifts...check out Holly's site at Alluring Designs by Holly.

Materials Needed:

Navy and White Acrylic Paint
11 x 14 Canvas (or your choice of size)
Cheap sponge paint brush - this link shows them in a pack of 25, but I know you can buy them individually also.  I think they are usually by the check out register at the craft store.
Mod Podge or other Glaze (to seal and finish the canvas)



Paint the entire canvas and sides with the navy, allow to dry and apply a second coat


Once paint has dried paint the forearm white and stamp onto the canvas...we also had a couple of "accidents" with getting the paint where it didn't belong.  Just take a we paper towel and blot then go back and touch up with the navy.


Paint the hand, and don't be stingy with the paint really it slather it on, and stamp the hand all the way around the tree trunk until your satisfied.


This is where my pictures end because I had to help with rotating the canvas and reapplying the paint.  But for the crescent moon your child can either use their finger to draw the crescent or with Charles and Dawson I had them make a fist and painted their pinkie end.  They then just stamped it onto the canvas and I did a little touching up.  For the grass at the base of the tree they put paint on their pointer finger and just drew the grass.  Once the art has completely dried it will need to be finished with a gloss or a glaze...I've got some Mod Podge that I think I'll use or I remember seeing other glazes right by all of the acrylic paint at the craft store.  It just takes a thin layer and it puts a nice finish on the canvas that seals and protects it.

Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment